Professional Volunteering Opportunities for Qualified Doctors in Ghana
- Placement location: Accra, the Akuapem Hills, or Cape Coast
- Requirements: Full qualifications as a doctor and have a relevant license to practice
- Accommodation: Host family
- Length of placement: From 1 week
- Start Dates: Flexible
This voluntary medical project uses the skills of qualified doctors in hospitals and clinics in one or more of our regions in Ghana. Volunteer doctors may be based in Accra, the Akuapem Hills or Cape Coast.
The hospitals in which we work vary in size and facilities, but will generally be less well equipped than in your home country. They appreciate the help of qualified doctors to ease the work load and provide training.
This project is ideal for anyone qualified looking for voluntary work abroad or doctors on a career break.
Here you will find answers to the following questions:
How can volunteer doctors help in Ghana?
As a volunteer doctor you can use your knowledge and training to help local staff. You may work on tasks such as:
- Working with existing staff to treat patients, including:
- Diagnosing medical conditions and planning or providing appropriate treatment.
- Organising preventative medical programmes for individual patients.
- Providing advice on medical care and immunisation etc.
- Helping with medical outreach programmes within nearby towns and villages. As a qualified doctor you may be asked to lead some outreach work and supervise less experienced medical volunteers.
- Discussing ways of developing and improving working practice.
The local doctors in Ghanaian hospitals normally work more in the mornings, when the hospitals can be very busy. However, you may be able to work some afternoons or night shifts if you are interested. You may also have the chance to spend some time in more rural clinics.
Your work will take place from Monday to Friday and an exact schedule will be organised by your project supervisor when you arrive.
This project runs all year round so you can join at any time. You decide how much time you can spare and we will help you get the most out of it.
What will I gain from this project?
This voluntary work abroad will allow you to gain a valuable insight into the challenges faced by doctors in Ghana. You will also be able to see tropical diseases uncommon in the UK and learn about the various treatments available. You will work alongside trained medical professionals and junior doctors. They will be keen to share ideas with you and learn from your experience.
Spending time with local staff and your host family will teach you about Ghanaian culture. They will also want to hear about your life back home and your family and friends. We call this ‘cultural exchange’ and we think it helps our volunteers gain a new perspective on life.
What will Projects Abroad PRO provide?
We have over 20 years’ experience of running volunteer projects. We provide you with the following support to make sure your time in Ghana is successful and enjoyable:
- Safe accommodation with a Ghanaian family close to your project.
- Friendly and dedicated local staff available to help 24 hours a day.
- A member of staff to meet you at the airport when you arrive.
- Medical and travel insurance.
What skills or qualifications do I need?
You need to be fully qualified as a doctor and have a relevant licence to practice in your country of residence. You will also ideally have at least one year’s experience of medical practice.
Please contact us if you think your knowledge may be useful on this project but do not have the required qualifications.
If you are interested in this project but don't have the relevant experience, then please read about our regular Medicine project in Ghana..
This placement is fully researched, safety audited and risk assessed in accordance with the British Standard BS8848 for the Adventure Travel Sector.