Human Rights Volunteer Projects in Togo
- Placement location: Lomé
- Role: To work alongside local staff on worthwhile projects that aim to help those living in one of Africa’s poorest countries
- Types of Placements: Partner Human Rights organisations
- Requirements: Volunteers need intermediate French
- Accommodation: Host family
- Price: From
- What's included? Food, accommodation, transfers to and from our specified airport, transport to and from work where required, insurance, personal webpage, induction and orientation, 24/7 support
- What's not included? Flights, visa costs, spending money
- Length of placement: From 2 weeks
- Start dates: Flexible
Togo is amongst the world’s poorest countries and has received its fair share of criticism over its human rights record. Today many local and international organisations are working to improve the situation of the poor, repressed and vulnerable within the country. Since trouble-free parliamentary elections took place in October 2007 many people are confident that during the next few years Togo will make further progress in human rights and democratic governance. You can play a part in this progress by volunteering on a Human Rights project in Togo.
The experience that you will gain while volunteering on the Human Rights project in Togo will undoubtedly improve your CV. This applies whether you are a gap-year student looking for some field experience or a law graduate looking to gain some practical work experience in the area of human rights. Your precise role will be determined by your knowledge and level of interest in specific areas.
The main language of communication in Togo is French and speaking intermediate French is necessary to be able to participate fully in this project.
Volunteering on a Human Rights Internship in Togo
Volunteers in Togo work with various partner associations in Lomé.
Your role as a volunteer is to assist either team with the treatment of individual cases, awareness projects and/or conducting research. Your responsibilities will depend on your previous experience as well as your interests and initiative.
There are many areas of Human Rights that need proper attention in Togo. You may join projects dealing with the following issues:
- Children’s rights
- Women’s rights
- Prison conditions
- Police accountability
- Electoral transparency
One of the main aims of this project is to help raise awareness so that ordinary Togolese people understand their rights, and what protection they are legally entitled to in certain situations. Your role in this might involve various activities such as:
- Raising awareness in rural communities
- Preparing leaflets, posters or educational tools
- Running training programmes
- Planning promotional campaigns
We work with professional organisations, therefore you may sometimes have deadlines or you may be asked to represent your organisation at meetings and other events. Your work will be important for the growth of human rights in West Africa.