Dentistry Elective Placements in Peru
- Placement locations: Cusco
- Role: To gain experience from local staff and add to your previous dentistry training
- Requirements: You must speak Spanish to an intermediate level. You must be currently studying at university for a degree in Dentistry. If you are not a student please go to our standard Dentistry project in Peru page
- Type of placement: Public health centres
- Accommodation: Host family
- Price: From
- What’s included? Qualified supervisor, food, accommodation, transfers to and from our specified airport, transport to and from work where required, insurance, personal webpage, induction and orientation, 24/7 support
- What’s not included? Flights, visa costs, spending money
- Length of placement: From 2 weeks
- Start dates: Flexible
Students on Dentistry Elective placements in Peru are based in public health centres in Cusco. These centres have busy dental clinics and provide lots of opportunities for observing treatments. Peru is a developing country, so facilities are basic, but you can still learn a lot about how dentistry is performed in another part of the world.
Projects Abroad will ensure your placement fulfils the requirements of your elective module by liaising with your university if needed. Our experienced in-country staff will help with any queries and pre-departure paperwork. In Peru you will be assigned a qualified Dentist as your dedicated supervisor. They will mentor you throughout your stay. They will be available to discuss any specific cases with you and answer your questions.
As an elective student your role will be mainly observational. You will shadow dentists and other dental staff throughout their day. Make sure you take notes on any specific cases and procedures to discuss with your supervisor. You will experience routine dental work including extractions, fillings and caps as well as preventative dentistry.
Your Elective in Peru
By showing initiative and enthusiasm, you may be able to support the dentistry staff with their duties. Students who become a valued member of the team and who have a pro-active approach will get a great deal out of the programme. For example, previous volunteers have helped run dental health workshops in the local community.
For all Dentistry placements in Peru, you need at least intermediate Spanish. You must also be able to commit to a minimum of two weeks on the project.
During your time in Peru, you will stay with one of our local host families. Here you will have the opportunity to experience the warm hospitality of the Peruvian people. You will also be able to really hone your Spanish speaking skills. On your time off you will be able to explore the delights of Cuzco and the surrounding region with our volunteer community.
Please be aware that most universities have deadlines by which time your Elective application paperwork must be completed. If your university needs information on the hospital or clinic in which you will be placed, or requires forms to be signed by your project supervisor, we strongly advise completing our application form at least one month before this deadline. We can only provide this detailed information once you have applied and been accepted onto an Elective placement with us.
If you have any questions please call us on 021 671 7008.