Tropical Dry Forest Conservation & Community
High School Specials for 15-18 Year Olds
- Placement Location: Barra Honda National Park
- Types of Placements: National Park and primary school
- Accommodation: Shared dormitory
- Age Requirements: 15-18 years old
Volunteer on the Conservation & Community High School Special in Costa Rica and use your time to support children and teachers and participate in important conservation efforts at a national park. Learn about the culture, meet local people, and contribute to work that will impact the community and the environment long after you’ve left.
This High School Special splits your time between volunteer work at a local primary school and conservation work at the Barra Honda National Park. The school is located in Corral de Piedra, a small community near the park. Here, you and the other volunteers will work with children between the ages of 6 and 12. Your main role is to assist teachers in the classroom and be an extra pair of helping hands. We encourage you to think of creative things to do in the classroom or on the sports field. This can include songs, educational games, and sports or fun physical activities. Your group will also help build a simple and safe playground for the school.
The Barra Honda National Park is 2,995 hectares of tropical dry rainforest. This is where you will live and work under the supervision of Projects Abroad staff. Here are the conservation activities you will get involved with during your time in Costa Rica:
- Trekking and caving with staff and professional guides in the Terciopelo Cave.
- Assist staff with the capture and identification of bats using a Harp Trap in a cave.
- Capture butterflies using hand or fruit traps, followed by identifying each butterfly.
- Identify different monkey groups.
- Take part in a caterpillar survey.
- Help with reforestation efforts by planting seeds and trees.
You will live with a group of volunteers from around the world in shared accommodation. After a busy day of work, your group will have time to chat about the day over a delicious meal and learn more about each other.
Besides your volunteer work, you will also have the opportunity to take part in social activates planned by our local staff. These include cooking classes, movie nights, or playing local games. Your weekend will be spent taking part in a beach clean-up at Baulas Marine National Park, followed by a trip to Nacascolo beach.