Volunteer Dentistry Projects in Tanzania
- Placement locationas: Arusha
- Role: To work alongside skilled local staff in the treatment of a number of different dental problems
- Types of placements:Dental clinics and health centres affiliated with local hospitals, and outreach work
- Accommodation: Host family
- Price: From
- What’s included? Food, accommodation, transfers to and from our specified airport, transport to and from work where required, insurance, personal webpage, induction and orientation, 24/7 support
- What’s not included? Flights, visa costs, spending money
- Length of placement: From 2 weeks
- Start dates: Flexible
If you are considering volunteering in the field of Dentistry abroad, then Tanzania could be a good option for you. You will be working in dental clinics that have few resources and you will learn a lot about the dental profession and how it works in a developing country. You will be placed in dental clinics and health centres affiliated with local hospitals in Arusha.
You will see various procedures such as tooth extractions. Your role will be to observe the dentist and their staff throughout the day. By shadowing the staff, you will have the opportunity to ask questions and review cases. If you have dental experience and are enthusiastic and willing, you may be given more to do. This could be helping set up the instruments for the dentists, and assisting them while they treat patients.
If you are pro-active and organised, you could help facilitate an outreach programme. This could involve visiting schools and care centres to promote the importance of oral hygiene to the children. Projects Abroad will be able to help in setting this up with you.
While you are volunteering in Tanzania, you will live with one of our warm and welcoming host families. You will also have access to our vibrant Projects Abroad volunteer community who you can spend time with when you are not at work. There is a lot to see in and around Arusha, so you will not be short of things to do.
You can read more detailed information about the aims of the project in our Tanzania Medicine & Healthcare Management Plan.