Volunteer Midwifery Projects in Peru
- Placement location: Cusco
- Role: To gain valuable work experience alongside staff in a local health centre
- Type of placements: Health centres
- Requirements: Volunteers must speak Spanish to an intermediate level
- Accommodation: Host family
- Price: From
- What’s included? Food, accommodation, transfers to and from our specified airport, transport to and from work where required, insurance, personal webpage, induction and orientation, 24/7 support
- What’s not included? Flights, visa costs, spending money
- Length of placement: From 4 weeks
- Start dates: Flexible
Midwifery volunteering in Peru will allow you to learn about the midwifery profession in a developing country. Here you may see aspects of midwifery you are not used to at home although the maternity units are generally well equipped.
Your role will be mainly observational. You will shadow doctors and other medical staff in the maternity units throughout their day. You may experience pre-natal consultancies, births, caesarean sections and post-natal care.
Depending upon your experience, you may be able to help with births as well as support women in the pre-natal and post-natal departments. Volunteers who make the effort to become a valuable member of the team will gain a lot from this project. You will be placed in either a large public health centre or in a large public hospital.
Your Schedule on a Midwifery Placement
Volunteers on the midwifery placements usually work from Monday to Friday and have the weekends free. Night shifts are available if you wish.
For all Midwifery placements in Peru, you need at least intermediate Spanish. You must also be able to commit to a minimum of four weeks to take part in this project.
While you volunteer on your midwifery project in Peru, you will stay with one of our local host families. Here you will have the opportunity to experience the warm hospitality of the Peruvian people. You will also be able to practise your Spanish speaking skills. On your time off you can explore the delights of the Sacred Valley and the surrounding region with our volunteer community.
You can read more detailed information about the aims of the project in our Peru Medicine & Healthcare Management Plan.
If you have qualifications or experience in this field then we can make use of your skills. Read more about the opportunities for skilled volunteers in Peru.