Volunteer Physiotherapy Projects in Ghana
- Placement locations: Cape Coast
- Role: To develop your skills and knowledge by working alongside skilled physiotherapy staff
- Types of placement: Hospitals
- Accommodation: Host families
- Price: From
- What’s included? Food, accommodation, transfers to and from our specified airport, transport to and from work where required, insurance, personal webpage, induction and orientation, 24/7 support
- What’s not included? Flights, visa costs, spending money
- Length of placement: From 2 weeks
- Start dates: Flexible
Volunteer physiotherapists in Ghana can gain valuable experience working in a hospital environment. You will be exposed to a wide range of conditions, and treatments may differ from what you are used to at home. By shadowing physiotherapy staff, you will learn how treatments are carried out in these facilities. How much hands-on work you can do will depend on your qualifications and experience and how much you involve yourself when here.
When you first arrive at the hospital you will discuss your work schedule with the Projects Abroad co-ordinator and the placement supervisor who will be a member of the hospital staff.
Physiotherapy volunteers are based in Cape Coast at the main regional hospital. It is one of the most modern hospitals in Ghana, with a wide range of departments and a large amount of new equipment. There is also the option of working at a centre for children with special needs. They have a very basic physiotherapy room where the children do their exercises every day. There is a wide range of needs due to the varying disabilities, so they are very grateful for all the assistance they can get in this area. Working at the centre for special needs could also be combined with a Care project.
During your stay in Ghana you will live with local host-families. There is plenty to do in whichever region of Ghana you are located and, as one of our most popular destinations; there will always be a large Projects Abroad volunteer community to spend time with.
You can read more detailed information about the aims of the project in our Ghana Medicine & Healthcare Management Plan.