Public Health Project in Madagascar
- PLACEMENT LOCATION: Andasibe
- ROLE: Increase awareness of key healthcare issues affecting the rural population
- TYPE OF PLACEMENT: Medical clinic
- ACCOMMODATION: Guesthouse
- PRICE: From
- WHAT’S INCLUDED? Food, accommodation, transfers to and from our specified airport, transport to and from work where required, insurance, personal webpage, induction and orientation, 24/7 support
- WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED? Flights, visa costs, spending money
- LENGTH OF PLACEMENT: From 1 week
People living in rural villages have limited access to healthcare facilities and families often don’t have the money to make sure their children are vaccinated. By joining this Public Health project, you will focus on building awareness and ensuring the community understands the need for vaccinations, basic hygiene, and getting treatment when ill.
Volunteering on a Public Health project
Training will be given to you onsite as you work alongside the local medical staff at a clinic which is equipped with a maternity ward and a local dispensary. The diseases and illnesses you may face can vary but are often tropical diseases such as malaria and dengue fever. To help increase health awareness in the community you will be required to prepare information resources such as posters and leaflets, deliver presentations and talks to local residents during rural outreaches and vaccination campaigns. You will also update outreach reports and analyse data to help identify key areas of need within the communities.
As a volunteer you will get to experience life within a rural community, and learn from your patients and the healthcare staff. The medical team are there to support you and assist during your placement, but they are also looking to learn from you. English skills are often limited in the more rural areas so you may be asked to teach lessons once a week.
During your stay, you will have plenty of time to experience all that Madagascar has to offer, both on the weekends or after finishing your placement work. Discover plant and animal species that are found nowhere else in the world as you explore the lush rainforests, extensive coastlines and numerous national parks.