Professional Volunteering Opportunities in Occupational Therapy, Ghana
- Placement location: Accra
- Requirements: Degree in Occupational Therapy or a related subject
- Accommodation: Host family
- Length of placement: From 2 weeks
- Start Dates: Flexible
As a volunteer Occupational Therapist in Ghana, you will work at a centre for children and young people with special needs, assisting the children and young adults who have both mental and physical disabilities. There is a severe lack of qualified Occupational Therapists in Ghana, so your experience will be extremely beneficial.
Here you will find answers to the following questions:
How can volunteer occupational therapists help in Ghana?
As a volunteer occupational therapist you will use your knowledge and training to help children and young adults adapt to the activities of daily life. You can work on tasks such as:
- Teaching skills on how to adapt to their environment
- Teaching sensory adaptation
- Providing art therapy such as weaving and basket making
- Developing a rehabilitation programme and focussing on restoring the confidence
- Coaching people with learning difficulties or poor social skills
- Visiting the homes to help with the adaption
- Train staff and family members in how best to accommodate individual needs
You will first be assigned to work with a supervisor who will help you as you settle into your new surroundings and job role. Once you have settled in you will be able to work independently if you are happy to do so, but you will also have the support of staff at your project. Please bear in mind you are likely to be the only qualified Occupational Therapist at this project, so you should be willing to take the initiative when it comes to suggesting activities.
This project runs all year round so you can join at any time as long as you commit to a minimum of 2 weeks.
What will I gain from this project?
You will gain experience of working in a foreign country with a lack of resources. You will have to be creative and come up with new solutions to common problems. You will learn about methods of care used in Ghana.
You will experience local communities, learning about a new culture and way of life. Staff and students will want to hear about your life back home and your family and friends.
What will Projects Abroad PRO provide?
We have over 20 years’ experience of running volunteer projects. We provide you with the following support to make sure your time in Ghana is successful and enjoyable:
- Safe accommodation with a Ghanaian family close to your project.
- Friendly and dedicated local staff available to help 24 hours a day.
- A member of staff to meet you at the airport when you arrive.
- Medical and travel insurance.
What skills or qualifications do I need?
If you have completed at least a Bachelor’s Degree in Occupational Therapy or a related subject then you are perfectly suited to this project. We prefer PRO volunteers to have at least 2 years work experience in their relevant field, but as this profession is very much lacking in Ghana, it is not a strict requirement. Please contact us if you think your knowledge may be useful on this project but do not have the required qualifications.
There is also a great need for speech therapists and physiotherapists. Please contact us for more information.