Volunteer English Teaching in Vietnam
- Placement locations: Hanoi
- Types of schools: Primary and secondary schools, college
- Age of students: 6-15, 18-21
- Class sizes: 30 - 60
- Role: Teacher or teaching assistant (English, French)
- Requirements: Volunteers should be at least 18 years old and have completed a minimum of one term at university or a minimum of one year of work after A-levels.
- Extra-curricular roles: Drama in summer
- Accommodation: Host family, rented volunteer house, hostels
- Price: From
- What’s included? Food, accommodation, transfers to and from our specified airport, transport to and from work where required, insurance, personal webpage, induction and orientation, 24/7 support
- What’s not included? Flights, visa costs, spending money
- Length of placement: From 3 weeks
- Start dates: Flexible
Volunteering in Vietnam will give you a new perspective on this incredible country, and provide you with invaluable teaching and classroom-based work experience. The focus is on conversational English, so you don’t need any formal qualifications or TEFL training. However, we work closely with the Vietnamese Ministry of Education and they require that all Teaching volunteers in Vietnam are at least 18 years old and have completed at least one term at university or a minimum of one year of work after A-levels.
For many years now, Vietnam has recognised the increasing role of English as the language of business and the importance of adapting the education system to the rapid pace of its economy. Tourism is also growing in Vietnam and speaking good English is essential to get a good job within the tourism or business sectors.
Your role as an English teacher in Vietnam
Projects Abroad Vietnam is based in the capital city of Hanoi. There is an enormous demand to learn English amongst Vietnam’s young population, and English is taught in all secondary schools and many primary schools in the city.
In most schools you will take your own class, however, a few schools will allow you to begin as a classroom assistant, supporting the local teacher in their lessons. Whether you are teaching your own class or assisting, a large part of your role is to help improve the children’s conversational English skills through fun and interactive lessons.
You can choose to teach French in Vietnam, if you speak the language well yourself.
There is also the option to teach English at a college, in the hospitality department. Here you will work with students between the ages of 18 and 21.
Our team in Vietnam organise teaching workshops every other month. These allow volunteers to share effective teaching strategies and to discuss any problems faced in the classroom. Local volunteers and Vietnamese teachers are also invited to join the workshops so it’s a great opportunity to share ideas and experiences.
The workshops usually involve brainstorming ideas, question and answer sessions and general discussions. Any months when there is not a Teaching workshop arranged, a similar Care project workshop takes place, which also covers useful topics for teaching volunteers.
During the summer months when the schools are on holiday, Projects Abroad arranges summer classes for the local students.
You can read more detailed information about the aims of the project in our Vietnam Teaching Management Plan.
This placement is fuly researched, safety audited and risk assessed in accordance with the British Standard BS8848 for the Adventure Travel Sector.